Thursday, May 16, 2013

What good is school choice, if there are no schools to choose from....

And the saga for a new school continues..... unbeknownst to me......
Yesterday we all come home from a fine day of work and school to discover that the school I registered both children to has kindly refunded our money and as you can see from the letter, will only accept Danielle to be tested for their fine establishment. Keep in mind that I registered the children in March and paid the fee in cash so that there would be no problems. I was so upset last night thinking that they waited over 2 months to tell me that they were not willing to accept my son. They had not asked me for his IEP or any information regarding his disability. I did disclose that he has Autism and ADHD, but that is the only information I had to give them. Based on just this alone, they kindly forwarded this letter basically stating that they would not accept William, but would consider Danielle. Now as a parent, and a student studying to become a special education teacher, I have to say that I am quite frustrated by the ignorance of school officials when it comes to children with learning differences. They know NOTHING and continue to perpetuate stereotypes in regards to students. I am not exactly sure why they decided to tell me so late in the school year and why they decided to preface that they had 30 children in their classroom (which makes no difference since a public school class size is 35+ anyway in our neighborhood school). My only questions is, why are the people in charge the most ignorant and untolerable people. They don't ask questions and they waste time that I do not have.
Finding a good school for your special needs child is a very long and exhaustive process. For them to not even ask for documents or information from me to see if he would be able to thrive (which I am confident he will based on his progress and his meds). It is totally frustrating to speak with these people (mind you they are supposed to be somewhat religious) but are extremely dismissive and non-supportive. They did not even ask to see his IEP, they just denied him off of his disability. I am not sure why schools leave people like this in charge, and then wonder why they are closing unproductive drop out schools that are not helping our students. I find it absolutely appauling that they leave people in these positions of power, yet they are not educated on children with learning differences and are fearful that these children will bring them down in some way. So much for religious schools being open to all types of children. WOW! Isn't that a shock! A Catholic school discriminating. Who knew?! Now I'm perpetuating a stereotype huh....
I do plan on following up with the Principal to see what the real deal was and I am going to follow-up with the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. What good is school choice, if there are no schools to choose from?

0 comments: