Monday, June 24, 2013

Raising an Autistic Trayvon Martin

As I observe the trial from my safe little desk and internet connection, I am drawn to 2 things swimming inside my head. A. Is this what every black teenager/man has to go through at one time or another (profiling) and B. What should I instill in my child so that he won't be a victim like this. The hard reality of the situation is, my boy has it worse due to his disability. My son is a sweet, loving and affectionate child, but at the same time, his social skills are lacking which could make him easy prey for a police officer or another person to tag him as a threat. Instinctively, my boy uses fleeting or little to no eye contact. When people look suspicious, it is usually because they are not looking you directly in the eye. We and police officers use this body language measurement to identify who they think may have done some harm. The problem is, my boy already has 2 strikes against him. 1. He's black and 2. He's got a disability that inhibits his social skills. He has to work twice as hard to carry on a conversation without people thinking there is some different about him. How should I arm him against racial profiling? How are we supposed teach our children that our neighborhoods are safe, its just the neighbors you gotta look out for. This trial brings tears to my eyes know that my child could be a victim of senseless violence due to an idiots use of force thrown against him. There is training that can be done for police officers, but what about the average joe with a gun permit and the means to buy whatever weapon they wish. What should I arm my child with? Education isn't going to help since we took that out of the equation for a gun permit. Its hilarious that the car insurance companies give you a better rate for being educated, but any yahoo with NO EDUCATION, just proof of age, can go and get a gun.
Are we so blinded by the media that we can't even see the rifle pointing at us and the safety off? We are committing a crime everyday called Involuntary Manslaughter. Its when you put your children in harms way ON PURPOSE, cause we are not fighting enough to do something about it! Raise your voice and save our children!

0 comments: